Thursday 18 February 2016

Life is a roller coaster

Nothing like starting to write with a hoary old cliche. Except that in this case the cliche fits pretty well.
Clare and I came home last Thursday with great news. We had a little fizz to celebrate. Then on Friday the arrival of our grandkids and their parents led to more celebration, quite a lot more in fact.

What exactly we were celebrating is open to question. My good news; possibly, but we do tend to celebrate quite effectively every time they come down from their northern neuk. Let's call it the drunkenness of things being various. (No, you are right not my phrase but one long loved and stolen from a great writer, look it up, the poem is worth reading)
After a slight lull on Saturday with the best behaved grandchildren imaginable the parents returned and there was a wee celebrate on Sunday night. Then somehow on Monday night a bottle of wine evaporated while in the care of Clare and I.
Not exceptional by our standards but in retrospect not the ideal preparation for my blood test on Tuesday morning.

Anyway, to Ninewells this afternoon clutching some dubious liver function numbers from the aforementioned blood test. I knew when I arrived that the figures were not good, an impression confirmed when another blood sample was taken and we were sent away while it was tested.
The results of the second sample were better than the first, but not good enough for the doctor in charge to allow me to carry on with my magic pills.

So I am home with no Afatinib and the prospect of no alcohol till my liver feels a little better.
Another appointment and blood test on Friday next week will hopefully see my Afatinib restored. Alcohol, genuinely in moderation will be resumed sometime after that.

Strangely it is easier to give up the bevvy when the choice boils down to drinking or living!

Short one tonight. Today's news has left me grumpy, but not down hearted. I still follow a strict policy of avoiding euphoria when I get good news and despondency after bad. The tumours are still a lot smaller than they were 2 months ago. And only a week off.

And still time for Scotland to finish the 6 nations with 3 wins!

No comments:

Post a Comment