Wednesday 12 April 2017

On homonyms, and a cliffhanger

Fit is one of these words in the English language where the same short word can have a variety of meanings.
During my 60 odd years the word has seldom been applied to my physique (seldom isn't exactly the right word there either, but never seemed so negative.) I am actually probably as fit now as I have ever been, both thanks to a brief spell of jogging, where I proved to myself that I can actually run 5000m all in a oner without too much resembling a tortoise. And of course the DVLA's decision to remove my driving licence helps a lot.
It is a mile and a half to our nearest bus stop (and back) and since November 2015 I have done the round trip pretty much every day.
For those who share my growing obsession with Fitbit stats I have averaged between 90 and 100,000 steps per week and just under 10km per day during those nearly 18 months.
Also for the record the upper body is perhaps not so taut.

But that is not the meaning that has been most on my mind in the last couple of weeks.

Neither has the more modern sense of fit as meaning sexually attractive. Even during those heady days as 1986 slipped into 1987 and Clare and I got to know each other  I don't recall that particular use of the word being used. Perhaps that sense of the word hadn't come into use. Or perhaps my attractions then, as now were more cerebral.

No, the sense of the word I  have been most preoccupied with raised its ugly little head around 6.30pm a week past Monday.
I had been sitting at the kitchen table finishing some business paperwork. I got up to get myself a glass of water and on the way to the tap stopped to help myself to a wee handful of tortilla chips, as you do.
I was slightly surprised when they proved a little difficult to swallow and even more surprised when I realised that not only was my tongue rigid and shaking, but my jaws were banging together hard and uncontrollably. This was probably the moment when the next sense of the word 'fit' came into my head. It seemed that I might be having one, and that it was probably a good idea to seek help.
Fortunately my trusty mobile was there and I only had to decide whether 999 or 111 was the more appropriate number to call. But, sorry there was a but and it was my lack of fine motor skills in my arms and hands. It proved surprisingly tricky to get rid of the message screen and to dial the 3 digits (by this time 999 had been chosen).
Fortunately I came up with plan B. Our much abused and little used landline had a handset attached with bigger buttons. I made my way into the hall, legs still sound luckily, and was able to knock three times on the phone in front of me.
Of course I had reckoned without my shoogly arms. While trying to talk into the phone I contrived to pull the receiver lead out of the phone, leaving the emergency operator with a silent call.
I was also in a bit of a predicament. Those of you who know Kilduncan will know that there is a nice comfortable armchair by the hall phone. Had I carefully sat in that, the next 10 minutes would have been easier.
But no, there was another chair. A childs chair, bought for Isaac and Daisy and pretty much the right size for either of them. As luck would have it this was the one encountered by my arse as it performed its gravitational duty, and as luck would have it my acceleration due to gravity was enough to get me firmly wedged in this wee seat.
Now clouds are known for their silver linings and in this case my glint of precious metal was finding my recently dropped mobile and finding that my shoogling was easing and that I was able to make a second attempt at 999. This one was successful and I was eventually able to ask for an ambulance which came promptly.
By the time it got here of course the excitement was pretty much over. I had even managed to extract myself from the kiddy seat.

I can hear you ask 'what about the first 999 call'?
This too was answered, by the police. They responded to a holiday house next door. Not their fault, I think, dad back in the days when I decided to build a house here set on tge name West Kilduncan for what I have alwayd called the Poultry Farm. That is now also the name of the holiday cottage.
They came upon a dark house and hauled a key holder out to open the door to look for a body, and were also prepared to break the door down.
Sincere thanks to both Fife Police and Messrs Logan for their help.

By this time my fit had passed. My body was back under control and my speech was getting back to normal. I am now back on the steroids and epilepsy medication that seems to control this symptom.

And today we have a cliff hanger. After a few weeks of waiting as the medical profession try to get tumour cells from my lungs (the difficulty is slightly ironic in the circumstances) we now have a blood test result from Birmingham and both blood and tissue sample results from Ninewells.
Tomorrow morning at 9am we have an appointment with Dr Adamson where we will hear whether my tumour cells have the T790M mutation that will make the new wonderdrug appropriate.

You may have noticed my fondness for quoting, especially from Shakespeare. In this case I will omit the Macbeth quote which begins 'hear it not Duncan, for it is a knell, which summons thee...'
 I will however screw my courage to the sticking point.

More news soon

No comments:

Post a Comment