Sunday 14 May 2017

5 days of treatment

Possibly the easiest thing I have ever done.
My role in the procedure was to lie on my back for about 5 minutes, wearing a neon yellow face mask, while a linear accelerator did something clever with xrays aimed at the more tumour rich parts of my brain.  Those of you who know me will acknowledge that this is well within my skillset.

Easy though lying there was the treatment was not quite side effect free. I suspect x-rays are not terribly good for brain cells, so now it is Sunday and I am feeling quite a lot better than I have for a couple of days.

Of course on Thursday I felt great. Got up early (well, before 8, dad would have called it a long lie) and buzzing. Had treatment then came home to pass on my knowledge of cutting the grass and operating our slightly dilapidated John Deere lawnmower to Dr Peddie. She of course was an ideal pupil, a hot hatch prodean perhaps.
The grass in the paddock was a little long and there was a minor choking incident, this did involve my spending quite and extended period lying under the mower as I pulled handfuls of compressed grass from under the cutters.

This may help to explain why I felt shit on Friday morning. However a wee rest and some outstanding Scottish 7s rugby on TV has brought me round. After 18 months of  astonishingly robust health, I have to accept that there will be more bad days, the trick, I suspect, is to grab the good days with both hands, even at risk of tiring myself out.

So, who believes in karma?

Probably not me to be honest, although I have a wee Rebus story which might wobble my rationalism.

I dad's last couple of weeks fighting his prostate he was struggling to read even a paperback book. I had just been given an ebook, primitive in the early 2000s, but we tried.

It didn't work too well, but eventually it dawned on me that the Ian Rankin novel I had chosen for Dad to read, probably as his last book was Exit Music. Hardly apt.

So cut to this week and the latest book to step up on my trusty kindle is another Rebus Rankin novel. 
This one is called Rather be the Devil.
It features a retired John Rebus, who interestingly has a large shadow on his lung. Lung cancer? He certainly has spent quite a bit of time coughing his guts up.
I am only 62% of my way through the book so i won't be able to plot spoil completely.
Good book though, you should read it.

Karma? Nah.

No comments:

Post a Comment