Wednesday 30 December 2015

Angry and ungrateful

It's been a while.
And not because nothing has been happening.
We have had the biennial Endean Christmas extravaganza. Clare's brothers and sisters, their partners and children. This year we all found space to sleep in the house. Just a typical family Christmas. 17 sleeping in the house. Adults who stay up till 3am playing cards and children who like to be up by 7 to start the new day. Sugar rush v alcohol poisoning.
It all came to an end on Monday morning after a Sunday evening of curry, Stabco, wine, more beer, singing, cocktails and much more singing.
Christmas Day was also my introduction to Afatinib. Wonder drug?
Time will tell.
When I came home from Ninewells I had a modest box with the main feature but then half a dozen boxes to cover side effects. 5 days in now and the first side effect has slipped in, or out rather. Imodium seems to be doing the trick.
Still waiting for skin rashes etc.

None of this explains the title of today's epistle.

The responses to what I have written so far have given me a strange odour of sanctity. Inspirational, brave, sensitive. Lovely complements but not really me.
I am still exactly the same grumpy, cantankerous, dull middle aged man who drinks too much and tries to remember not to write controversial emails after a bottle of red late in the evening.
What my diagnosis has robbed the whole family of is normality and me of independence and perhaps a little time.
It is hard at my age to admit that your teenage children were right all along. Kilduncan is a tricky place to live when you can't drive.
On of my listening joys for many years has been Kermode and Mayo's film review. I am a fully paid up member of the church of Wittertainment. I strongly recommend this to anyone with even the most limited interest in movies. What could be more interesting than spending 2 and a half hours each week listening to 2 middle aged men squabbling about films?
Their relevance to this piece is that there is a standing joke which started when Mark Kermode asked how to set up Snapchat. The answer was that you just set up Snapchat.
So clearly the answer to the question how do the Peddie/Foister/Squires family bring back normality to their lives is... They bring back normality to their lives.

I admit that this works better as a smart remark than as plan, a bit of a recurring theme in my life.

The key is the future. We need to embrace it, plan for it, enjoy it. There are children and grandchildren to enjoy and admire. There is a business to run and to plan for, perhaps new opportunities and challenges. There is fun to be had and memories to be made.

But first there is a trip to Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment